Cookie Notice

As far as I know, and as far as I remember, nothing in this page does anything with Cookies.

2017/07/22

The Next Thing

As discussed last time, I had been using my GitHub Pages space as a list to my Repos. I had been considering moving my blogging from here to ... something else, and this looked like an interesting concept.

I've always developed the web with a smart server side, and I've known from the start that this makes you very vulnerable, so I do like the idea of writing markdown, committing it to the repo and having the system take care of it from there. So, that's a win.

But, as far as I can tell, I've followed the "this is how you make an Atom feed" magic and get no magic from it, and that, more than webhooks triggering on push, is how you start putting together the social media hooks that make blogging more than writing things down in a notebook. Which is a lose.

So, I'm not 100% happy with GitHub Pages and Jekyll, but the good thing is that I can write and commit from anywhere. If I used Statocles or another static site generator, I'd have to have that system running on whatever computer I blog from, or transfer it to there.

I would guess that, if I had the whole deal running on any of my machines, some of the small things would work better, but so far, getting a setup that displays pages exactly like github.io on localhost has been less that working, And, I would've like to have this as a project page, jacoby.github.io/blog, so my personal page could be more of a landing page, but alas.

And, ultimately, I do want to not have myblog.<service>.com, but rather myblog.<me>.com. Every time I think about it, I think about the tools I'd build on it, rather than the billboard for me, but

No comments:

Post a Comment